We have spent the last two weekends going to Utah. The first trip was for the Holdsworth Reunion (mine) in Lehi, up at the house my Great Grandfather (right Ma?) built back in 1896. It has remained in the Holdsworth family since it was built, very rare these days! It is the house that my dad grew up in, and might I add, got in a ton of trouble in, his stories are so great! Anyway, this year instead of just sitting around, chatting we decided to visit the birth place of my grandmother - Mammoth, Utah. The name is quite deceiving, maybe 20 people live there. She was a triplet born in 1908 and they obviously didn't know there were three of them in there and when the doctor came to deliver he was apparently inebriated and the last one didn't survive. My POOR Great Grandmother had to be taken to the hospital in Salt Lake, which was no easy task in those days, with the last baby in the birth canal. It took us about 45 minutes to get out there from Lehi on a nicely paved highway going 65 the whole way, I can't even imagine what it was like for her! It hit quite close to home for me, seeing as I am expecting myself, I just kept thinking, I wouldn't have made it, I would have just given up, this is unreal! No wonder my grandma was such a tough cookie, she had to fight from the very beginning! Here are the pictures of Mammoth, I am guessing not much has changed in the last 102 years. It is still mostly dirt roads.
After our trip to Mammoth we went back to my brother's house in Orem and played a little wiffle ball in their BEAUTIFUL back yard. Everyone got a turn (except the pregnant woman, of course:)) and who knows who won!
This is where we spent the most time, on the front lawn of my grandma's house. It is surrounded by beautiful ash trees that provide wonderful shade and the grass is so green and cool. I could have stayed forever, it was so relaxing. There were so many kids for Kenzie to play with, I hardly saw her all weekend. My dad brought his camp trailer up for some extra sleeping space and during the day it was the playhouse for the kids. I was so relaxed by the end of the trip, a much needed break for this expectant mother! I was SO sad to leave, this is one of my favorite places on earth. And while we were there one of the people we met in Michigan happened to drive by and stopped in for a little chat, which was a wonderful surprise! Everything about the trip was spectacular!
And for her grandmother's here is a picture of Kenzie with her hair in cute braids, I think we were about to go swimming at Heather's house.
And here she is hanging out with her dog watching Blue's Clues.
And by request, here I am in all of my glory. 6 months pregnant and very large. I am hoping the weight gain in my face is just water retention and not real weight!
As for the other trip to Utah, we went up to Price for the Melo Reunion. We couldn't find the camera so we didn't take one picture, which I am so sad about because Kenzie was covered in dirt the whole time we were there. The reunion was up at Paul's grandmother's farm. The Melo's sure know how to throw a party! Kenzie loved playing in the dirt, something she rarely gets to do in this concrete jungle. Paul had fun visiting with his family which he hasn't seen in more than two years since we have been away at law school and I enjoyed watching both of them enjoy themselves. It was nice to get out of the heat for a couple of weekends and spend time as a family. I don't know if I am going to make it through this HOT summer, I might have to take a couple more trips while Paul studies for the Nevada Bar.
5 comments:
What are you having?? CONGRATS!
Yay Kate, I was so thrilled that you enjoyed the trip out to Mammoth and are interested in the origins of your family! It was a really great reunion!
Love, Ma
You look great, Kate!! I can't wait to see the baby!
Hey We are so glad you guys stopped by..it was great to see you!
I am extra glad you liked price maybe we will see you more often!
we'll let you know when we are in Vegas next
You are so cute prego.lady! Glad you have some fun reunions!
Post a Comment