Since becoming a stay at home mom I have dug deep and found my crafty gene. I have found several different projects to fill my time wisely, day dreaming that maybe I can find something to make and sell to bring in some extra money while staying at home with Kenzie. Here are a few of the things I have been doing lately. My next project is to find someone who is willing to let me borrow their sewing maching to make aprons.
One of my favorite pass times is to go to Hobby Lobby and look around because they always have really good sales. I found these chipboard letters for a really good deal and covered them with paper and little flower stickers. It came with the whole alphabet so I can do more than just McKenzie's name. Good budget decorating, if anyone is interested.
I saw this idea in a magazine and decided that I could do it for myself for a lot less. I went and bought the paper for about $.50 and then printed out the saying on my computer and trimmed it with ribbon that I already had from making cards. I also already had the frames from when we first got married so each one probably cost about $1 total (since the frames were free), much better than $20 for the exact same thing!
My favorite thing to do is to make hair ribbons for Kenzie. I can make a clip with a ribbon bow for every outfit that she has and the ribbon is very cheap. At Hobby Lobby I got several spools with 6 feet of ribbon for $.50 a piece, not bad at all, I can get about 7 bows out of one spool. It takes about 15 minutes to cover the clip, if you want to get it perfect, and about 5 minutes to make the bow, the only equipment needed is a hot glue gun which you can buy at Michael's for $2, it isn't the best quality but it works perfectly for little projects like this.

Thanks for listening to me tooting my own horn, I am just surprised by the amount of crafts I have done, I always thought I wasn't the crafty type, I guess being on a budget forces talents to appear so that I can decorate and change the look of our apartment, and keep myself occupied while Kenzie sleeps.
9 comments:
Sooooo cute! You should try to sell them!
You're my hero! I'm going to be creative...maybe I'll wait till I can make a creative mess in my own house before I dive in though. Plus, Joseph wouldn't appreciate bows and I don't have anything to decorate right now. You've always been my inspiration for house decorating though! You have such a good eye! I hope you're doing well! I miss visiting with you!
Check you out, Kate! I'm very impressed! I'm lazy, I think. I need to be more crafty and I'd probably be able to save money!!:)
Oh, for darling, Kate! I hope the apron-making lesson wasn't too complicated for your first time trying to make one. I'm always here to help, via e-mail or phone.
We need some pix of Kenzie in order to make it through next week!
Ma
It's fun to find your crafty side, isn't it?! I want to know where you learned to do the bows... I would love to do something like that for Sadie!
Cute, cute, cute! I hope to have a girl some day. The boys won't even let me walk down the "pink" aisle at Target. It's straight to the Transformers and Hot Wheels aisle.
You sure are a creative one Kate-O! I love the letters spelling McKenzie's name. How fun. I'm sad we weren't able to meet up when you were in AZ. We've been so busy! Had we known you were going to be in Phoenix for Criti's wedding, we might have been able to make a quick trip up there. Too bad! :( Thanks for the comments on our blog! Our favorite names for our little man are: Ethan, William, Trevor or Tyler- but we're not set on one yet. We'll post when we do have one for sure. Miss you!
I'm glad you "tooted your own horn" We all need that once in awhile. I loved Mckenzies bow, even though she didn't keep it on in nursery :)
Kate! I am so impressed! I love this stuff! Someday maybe you can teach me how.
Post a Comment